Vastu Tips – 10 Vastu Shastra Tips for HomeSeptember 18, 2017
Understanding different types of mortgagesSeptember 27, 2017
Take A Step Towards Sustainable Living
The world is making a move towards sustainability. As an individual, one often thinks how he can contribute to making the Earth, a greener planet. You would be surprised to see how your little efforts and habits can make an impact. With changes in the climate and deteriorating planet, it is the combined responsibility of each one of us to make changes to our everyday lives that will have a greener impact.
The initiative of making efforts start right from the place you live in- your home and workplace as well. Wondering how? Even the smallest efforts from your end can make a significant impact towards a greener living and sustainability. You can simply start with making your home eco-friendly with these simple tips for sustainable living and implement the following practices:
- Start by making a simple change in the way you dispose of the garbage.
Segregate dry waste from wet ones. Separate and segment dustbins into blue and green ones. Dispose of dry waste in a green dustbin and wet ones in blue. This is an easy way to manage the waste produced at your home.
- Replace the light bulbs with incandescent bulbs as energy-saving Light-Emitting Diodes (LED) or Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFL). These bulbs consume 70% less energy than the usual lights and save money.
- If you live in a colder region, you can use carpets to make the room feel warmer and cosier. The extra insulation in the carpets helps in reduce heating costs as the carpets trap the heat during the day.
- Install dimmer switches in your home. These turn the lights low, creating a cozy atmosphere and uses less energy, thereby saving your money. The amount of savings are dependent on how dimly the room is lighted.
- Choose low-energy appliances. Look for the Energy Star logo to improve energy efficiency and maximise your eco-friendly efforts. The appliances with energy star might lie in the prices range slightly more than the usual prices, but it is definitely worth the investment in the long run.
- Compost your food waste rather than throwing your leftovers. Most of us do not realize the amount of food we throw every day. It contributes to methane emissions from landfills and helps in reducing carbon footprint. This way it helps in energy conservation.
- Install solar panels on the terrace of your houses. Also, try to use a natural resource for energy production. The photovoltaic cells in a solar panel harness solar energy which is converted into electrical energy. This electrical energy can be used to run electrical appliances.
- The think about waste is that it never really is a waste. Reduce, reuse and recycle the waste in whatsoever form they are in. This ensures that your ultimate garbage disposal is minimal.
- Capture heat from the sun by closing the drapes after the sunset. It is an excellent way to trap the warmth of the sun and lead to less or negligible usage of appliances for heating up your homes during low temperature.Going green is not only something that should be managed at home, it is something that can be done in our office and corporate spaces too.You can reduce carbon footprint in your office space either by hiring an expert. However, you can do so by yourself by practicing these small steps for a sustainable lifestyle in office by yourself:
- Upgrade the energy system of your office with energy efficient lighting options.
- Use LED lights instead of old light bulbs, and energy saver star marked appliances.
- Always turn off the switch and unplug devices, not in use. Encourage your teammates and colleagues to adopt the habit of using devices on power saver mode.
- Depend on natural lighting by rolling up the window blinds. This reduces the usage of bulbs and lightings, thereby reducing the consumption of resources.
- Monitor if the working habits around you are affecting the health of the environment. Conduct audits and intervention to recognise the areas that need to be worked on.
- Replace garbage bins with recycling bins to encourage the concept of reduce, reuse, recycle.
- Reduce paperwork in office as much as you can.
- Share your ride while going to the office. Pool cars and use public transports as much as you can.
- Reduce indoor air pollution. Common office equipment like printers, fax machines emit pollutants and odors. Consider air quality concerns while making purchasing decisions.We at Omaxe believe in sustainable living and strive towards promoting a lifestyle that encourages a conservation of energy and resources. Going green at home and work does not require a lot of money. It, in fact, will help you saving energy and money.
Making our homes eco-friendly is easier than you think. Little steps in your daily practice will contribute towards bettering of our environment. Adopting a few lifestyle tips for sustainable living shared above is an excellent way to start. Let’s also teach our children to develop eco-friendly habits from an early age, as they are the ones who we will hand over the planet to, in the future.