Lucknow is the capital city of the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh and is known for its rich cultural heritage and history. Let us look in detail at all this city holds and why it is a wonderful place to live.
All about the city of Nawabs, Lucknow
The city is often referred to as the “City of Nawabs,” as it was once the seat of power for the Nawabs of Avadh, who were known for their refinement and love of arts and culture. Today, Lucknow is home to a diverse population, and it is known for its delicious cuisine, beautiful gardens, and historical landmarks. In fact, the city has been ranked as the second happiest in India.
What Makes Lucknow India’s Second Happiest City?
According to a recent survey conducted by the electronics giant LG and research company IMRB international, Lucknow has been ranked as the second happiest city in India. This is due to a number of factors, including the city’s rich cultural heritage, the friendly and hospitable nature of its people, and its strong sense of community.
Lucknow is also home to several world-class educational institutions, including the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) and the Indian Institute of Management (IIM), which attract top students and professionals from across the country. This, combined with the city’s thriving business and startup ecosystem, has contributed to its high ranking as a happy and livable city.
Is Lucknow a Smart City?
Lucknow has made considerable progress in recent years in its efforts to become a smart city. The government of Uttar Pradesh has implemented a number of initiatives to improve the city’s infrastructure, including the construction of new roads, flyovers, and bridges, as well as the development of green spaces and public parks.
The city has also made efforts to improve its public transportation system, with the introduction of new buses and the construction of the Lucknow Metro. In addition, the government has launched several initiatives to promote the use of renewable energy and reduce air pollution, including the installation of solar panels on government buildings and the promotion of electric vehicles. The city is also home to numerous historical places.
Best Historical Places to Visit in Lucknow
Lucknow is home to several historical landmarks and cultural attractions, which make it an attractive place to live and a popular tourist destination. Some of the best historical places to visit in Lucknow include:
- Bara Imambara: This 18th-century Shia shrine is one of the most iconic landmarks in Lucknow, and it is known for its intricate architectural design and beautiful gardens. Visitors can explore the complex, which includes the main prayer hall, a series of underground tunnels, and the Bhool Bhulaiya, a labyrinth of corridors and rooms. The monument is also famous for being the largest unsupported construction in the world. The construction was done without using wood or metal of any kind. The central hall of the Bara Imambara is famous for being the largest vaulted chamber in the world.
- Chota Imambara: Also known as the Hussainabad Imambara, this 19th-century Shia shrine is known for its beautiful gold-plated dome and ornate interior decorations. Built by Muhammad Ali Shah, the third Nawab of Awadh in 1838, the complex includes a prayer hall, a series of courtyards, and served as a mausoleum for him and his mother.
- Rumi Darwaza: This grand gateway was built in the 18th century as the entrance to the Bara Imambara complex, and it is known for its ornate design and towering height. Built by Nawab Asaf Ud Daula, it resembles the architecture of Bab-e – Humayun gateway in Turkey and hence is also called the Turkish Gate. The Rumi Darwaza is an important symbol of Lucknow’s Mughal-era heritage, and it is a famous tourist attraction. The story goes that when a famine struck the Northern part of India in 1748, the Nawab of Lucknow hatched a plan where he will feed the stomachs of the people withstanding the worst of this famine in lieu of the Awadhi workers building him the massive Rumi Darwaza. Hence, it became a bridge of happiness for both sides.
- The Residency: This complex of buildings was the residence of the British Resident General during the 19th century, and it is now a museum that showcases the history of Lucknow during the colonial era. The residency has a total of three storeys and used to have offices, libraries, the Begum Kothi, Mosque, and a cafeteria that no longer exists. One of the walls of the residency houses a marble slab of all the soldiers who fought during the Indian revolt of 1857. It also houses an ancient Banquet Hall that still adorns some remarkable carvings on the pillars and walls. Despite a major part of the building being in ruins, the graves of the colonisers that lost their lives during the Siege of Lucknow can still be witnessed. The Residency is a poignant reminder of the city’s history and a walk through it transports you back in time.
- Hazratganz: One of the shopping spots in Lucknow, Hazratganz still holds a rich panoply of the history of the city. Located In the heart of Lucknow, the district was established by Nawab Saadat Ali Khan in 1810 and is named after the fourth caliph, Hazrat Ali. The district has labyrinthine lanes that were then infused with people who loved art, poetry and music, and the culture that was much frequented by Nawabs and Zamindars has not deserted these lanes. Still frequented by locals as well as foreigners, the markets of Hazratganz are famous for Chickankari Kurta, sarees, handicrafts, jewellery, and handlooms.
All these tourist spots along with its infrastructure laden residential areas make it an outstanding living option. Let us look at some of the best residential areas of Lucknow to reside in.
Best Residential Areas in Lucknow
Lucknow is a city with a range of housing options, from luxury apartments to low-price flats. Some of the best residential areas in the city include:
1.Gomti Nagar: This is one of the most upscale neighbourhoods in Lucknow, and it is known for its wide, tree-lined streets, well-manicured gardens, and luxury apartments. Gomti Nagar is home to many high-end shopping malls, restaurants, and entertainment centers, making it a favoured choice for those who want a convenient and modern lifestyle. As a matter of fact, it has some of the best apartments in Lucknow. It has high-end apartments with modern amenities such as a gym, swimming pool, and landscaped gardens. Home to various top-class malls such as Singapore Mall, Fun Republic Mall, Wave Mall, City Mall, Gomti Nagar also has well-established educational institutes such as St. John Bosco College, Lucknow Public College, St. Mary’s Inter College and more.
2. Hazratganj: Located in the heart of the city, Hazratganj is known for its colonial-style buildings, upscale shopping, and dining options. This area is popular with young professionals and families, and it is known for its tree-lined streets and well-maintained parks.
Home to numerous distinguished colleges and schools such as St. Francis College, Christ Church College, Cathedral School of Lucknow, Fun N Learn School, Hazratganj also has various malls like Sahara Ganj Mall, Miniso, Oberon, etc. The locality is well-known as the abode of numerous political leaders and flourishing businessmen of Lucknow city.
3. Aliganj: This residential area is known for its affordable housing options, including low-price flats and apartments in Lucknow. Aliganj is a popular choice for students and young professionals, as it is close to several educational institutions and job centers.
The abode of the well-known old Hanuman Temple, Aliganj has various marketplaces such as Dandiya Bazaar, Sector Q and more. The locality also houses various medical colleges such as Vivekananda College of Nursing, St. Mary’s College of Nursing, Career Dental College, etc. Aliganj also presents excellent job opportunities in companies like Quest Biotech, Prajit Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd, etc.
4. Indira Nagar: Located in the eastern part of the city, Indira Nagar is known for its spacious apartments and well-planned layout. This area is favoured by families, as it is close to many good schools and hospitals.
Various academic institutions such as Delhi Public School, Central Academy School, and United World School are present here along with various multispecialty hospitals like CNS Hospital, Asheerwad Hospital and Shekhar Hospital.
The locality also has renowned places for shopping and leisure like Bhootnath Market, Lekhraj Market, Paropkari Mini Mall, Fun Republic Mall, Anandi Water Park, Arvindo Park etc.
The locality also has superb connectivity to other places in Lucknow through metro services. The area is also home to various companies such as Cardinal Technology Solutions, Kaizen Infotech Pvt. Limited, Sigma Trade Wings, etc.
5. Mahanagar: Located in the northern part of the city, Mahanagar is known for its affordable housing options, including low-price flats and apartments. This area is popular with students and young professionals, as it is close to several universities and job centers. Home to various renowned educational institutes such as Mount Carmel College, City Montessori School, Isabella Thoburn College, Hoerner College, etc., the locality offers various places for shopping such as Umrao Mall, Gol Market, Kapurthala Market, etc.
Hospitals such as Omni Care Health House, Dhanraj Hospital, Devishiv Hospital are also present which makes this locality a great option for living.
An excellent living option
The city of Lucknow is a unique blend of heritage and modernity. Its rich heritage, welcoming nature and unique pace combine excellently with its modern infrastructure and amenities and make it an excellent city to live in.